Monday, January 25, 2010

East Side, West Side, All Around the Town

What to do with mama's day off? WALK OF COURSE...

The day started off kind of grey - as is the usual here in Portland - but then it got SUNNY. And I was wearing my raincoat. How may I convince you mama that the raincoat should come off?

Almost worked. She still wasn't convinced that it wouldn't start raining again as soon as she removed it. At least I got a promise that as soon as we got to the Hollywood district, if it was still sunny, that I could take it off. O-k...

First things first. Chores. Not my favorite thing. Especially as I usually have to wait outside:

Just me, waiting for mama, and hypnotizing everyone else going in or out of Comcast. Just another day for me...

But then, just as I'd felt a yearning to breathe free...

Yes folks, it's the Statue of Liberty. The MALE Statue of Liberty. Advertising a tax preparing service. On a major street. In the middle of a Monday. IN PORTLAND. I need a drink..

And a nice frosty cup full at Panera will do nicely.

Ah, refreshing.

Not so interested in your sandwich today mama. I have another idea...

Now, hear me out. We've already walked for almost 2 hours and we're at least that far away from home. So... since we never get over to the east side these days, I was thinking that a trip to the PARK might be in order.

I'll be GOOD

Woo-hoo! Off to Laurelhurst Park. Everything is so GREEN here...

And SMELLS so GOOD

I've missed my old stomping grounds, Laurelhurst Park is really lovely and I remember us all walking here a lot.

Funny trees, off-leash area (that I am NEVER allowed to go into... blame it on my lack of recall skills), variety of both sticks and cones.

Since we were already heading southward, why not visit Hawthorne Blvd, and all of its assorted revelries?

Not much happening here for a Monday afternoon.

So lets look at some of the local statuary, shall we?

Yes, they build things a little differently here in Portland...

Alas, it is not night time and the Potato Champion is closed. No fries this time...

So you say you like to grill... and want to be the coolest grillmaster on your block. THEN YOU NEED ONE OF THESE:

We considered a stop at the Lucky Lab for a tasty beverage, but as it was starting to rain a bit harder (and I didn't want mama to put my raincoat back on) we soldiered on.

Was it a long day? Yes. About 4.5 hours of walking. Was it great to spend my day with mama? You betcha.

Love,

Bogart

6 comments:

Sally Ann and Andy said...

Y'all are power walkers. I don't think I could walk for 4.5 hours. Mommy would probably end up carrying me home, if we tried to walk for 4.5 hours.
Sally Ann

Scruffy, Lacie and Stanley's Place said...

Holy crap, Bogie...I can't believe how far ya walked and the um UNUSUAL stuff ya saw...that ten car bike pileup was amazing!!!

Even your trees look different than ours...did ya get a cone snack???? I've never been partial to cones, but then I live with Scruffy and his head is shaped like one...nuff said.

It still looks like summer out there...soooooooo greeen compared to old monochomatic Pittsburgh....

Kisses, you handsome boy and hooooooge hugs to your mom!!

Love, Lacie and her stoopid brothers

Baby Rocket Dog and Hootie said...

Portland is quite a colorful place. You and your mommy have strong constitutions to be able to walk 4.5 hours. We think that was like 20 miles. That's a zillion steps ya know!! (Hootie's math.)
Rest up dear ones!
Smooches,
BabyRocketDog and Hootie

The Airechicks said...

Bogart:

You and your Mama have the BEST adventures!!!

You look very handsome in your raingear - RED is your color....

You and your Mama must be in very good shape with all that walking....we think you need to write for the local paper about your adventures and that way ALL of Portland will want to spend lots of time with their dogs walking on your adventures....

Have a even better day today!!!

XXoooXXoooXXooo

Hollie and Janie said...

I hate wearing my raincoat, too, but I do love panera bread! It's one of the few places that I'm allowed to go. You and your mama have the best adventures!!
Love,
Janie

Karen Raye and Bentley Beargrass said...

Now that's what we call a good klaw. And the bike sculpture is rockin. We have a beer can house here in Houston- the Mama used to take friends by it when she was younger 'cause they didn't believe it really existed. Maybe you should come visit so you could walk by it on one of your adventures. Wishing you some sunshine!