Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Playing Catch Up


Today is a VERY SPECIAL DAY.

One year ago today I was crammed into a crate with no idea of where I was going, what would be happening to me, and oh yeah I was kinda hungry. Then I was put onto not one but two airplanes from rural Virginia (and not riding first class, I tell you) and one plane missed it's connection so I spent an inordinate amount of time in the airport at Atlanta before another long flight to who-knew-where.

Little did I know that at the same exact time, my new mom-to-be was screaming profanities and generally making a nuisance of herself at the Delta baggage claim terminal in Los Angeles in anticipation of my arrival. She made sure that everyone in the entire terminal knew exactly who I was, and wouldn't even let them leave (!) until they found me. I ultimately arrived 3 hours later than expected, and mom gave 'em hell.

Today is the one year anniversary of my very first day with mom and dad. I really do feel special!!! I love that they take such good care of me, and I'm happy to return the favor. And I'm so happy that they're FUN!!!

In other news, apparently mom had been taking photos all along this weekend and was just now getting around to posting them. So this was my very full Sunday:

First we stopped off at Petco, I wasn't sure why. But I'm always happy to explore and show mom where the good stuff is (when I'm "good" I'm allowed to pick out my own toys and bones).

Then we went down the leash-and-collar aisle. I wasn't sure why. I already have leashes and the coolest collar... but mom wanted to get me a harness. I immediately thought of my dreamgirl Sunshade and her pretty red one, and yup I got excited. So mom and I were trying them on and then decided that I should have a manly green one. I kinda like it actually.


Then we were going to go to the Pasadena City College flea market... except that mom had the dates wrong and there was no one there! It was actually one week before, so we suddenly had nothing to do. So rather than going home, mom thought we should take a little tour of Old Town Pasadena. I agreed heartily - it's an area where there are lots of people who not only know a gorgeous young Airedale when they see one, but they openly express their admiration as well.

So we parked and then I got to test-drive the new harness. Pretty good. We stopped for some lunch at a restaurant called Malagueta - it's sort of Brazilian, and I've been there before. Last year at the Doo Dah Parade I got to sit there and they were really nice to me. Mom got her predictable non-meat sandwich and I thought she might need a little protection so I jumped into her lap. Several times. Just so she'd feel comfortable as a lone woman eating lunch at an outdoor cafe... I get to be her muscle! I also get any mozzarella scraps that just happen to not make it into her mouth, so it's totally worth it.

Then we walked around for awhile looking for a good spot to take some photos. Have I told you that I was asked to be in the Dogs With Blogs calendar? Oh yes indeed, and mom has been trying to get some good photos of me so that I'm truly worthy of my own month. But it's been difficult. Between the battery issues and this "work" thing, she just didn't have the time or the creative energy to git 'er done. We thought we'd try today as it was lovely outside and we were in pretty Pasadena, after all.

As genetically gifted as I am, some days the muse just doesn't visit, and the pictures just aren't award-winning. I of course blame mom.

I know she tries, but well, she failed.


Admittedly I was easily distracted, but hey I'm the model here.


So then we headed home, mom a bit dejected about having the opportunity to get a fantastic calendar-worthy picture of me and somehow not getting it together. She wasn't happy. Then we got stuck in major traffic behind a nasty truck accident which made her even un-happy-er.

We got home and mom was moping around the apartment. She went downstairs to get her laundry (I try to help her, but she swears that she can do this better alone... I of course pretend to understand) and then came running back up the stairs at top speed! IT WAS RAINING! For the first time in more months than either of us can remember, IT WAS RAINING! So she grabbed my leash, found the camera, and she and I went running outside to the park to enjoy a little RAIN!!!!

Of course it only lasted for less than 5 minutes, but I do have to admit that it was fun and did feel awfully good. Mom started shooting pictures immediately and we both felt something good was happening... I even started to sing!

At full howl I did a little impromptu serenade for mom.


I could tell that she liked it by the way she was laughing so hard.

So I just kept going. And somehow in all of this frivolity, mom GOT THE PICTURES. I was so happy and boy was she happy. The rain stopped, and we went back inside so she could sit in front of the computer for awhile and work on my pictures doing whatever special thing she does with them. It's good to have "people" to do these kinds of things for me.

Love,

Bogart

See TONS of pictures on my other blog:
To Aire is Divine

5 comments:

fee said...

what a cool way to arrive! congratulations on your anniversary! i'm sure the wonderful year you've had is many times worth the jet-lag!

loves,
fee

Buck Angel said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sunshade said...

OH my handsome Bogie!! I saw LOTS of Calendar worthy pictures. I also really LOVE that picture of your innocent looking face with all the flowers stuck on you, I'm sure you know which one I'm talking about.

You know, you look just like me when you sing!!! I call it "speaking my mind"...hehe.

You guys are hilarious, we hide from rain, and you guys run out to enjoy the rain and take pictures in the rain!!

ps. will you be in Calendar one or two? I'll be in two, and if you are in one, then I might have to "speak my mind" to mum about getting one as well!

Love nibbles,
Miss Sunshade

Sunshade said...

I forgot to say, you look SOO handsome with your manly green harness. We would look so cute together you know...if we ever meet!

Happy Anniversay to being with your mommy & daddy!!

Your dreamgirl,
Miss Sunshade

Fu Fu said...

Hey Bogart, so nice of you to serenade your mum. Bet she loves you. ;)

~ fufu